In an effort to provide researchers access to the best and most cost effective sequencing services, the Center for Genome Innovation is partnering with Eurofins Genomics for Sanger sequencing solutions.
Eurofins Genomics, formally known as Operon, is an international leader in DNA sequencing and oligonucleotide/gene synthesis, and is known for quick turn around times and excellent quality in both areas. Although each lab has the option to choose from many vendors for Sanger sequencing, Eurofins has given UCONN researchers submitting samples through the CGI competitive pricing for many different sequencing configurations, including convenient services like custom primer synthesis.
The CGI will continue to provide Sanger sequencing services on site for ready to run samples, as well as full-service fragment analysis services like STR profiling for cell line validation. If you require assistance in setting up a UCONN portal account for Eurofins orders, or have any questions on pricing/services, please contact Bo Reese (email@example.com).
- For more information on how to prepare samples for submission download the Eurofins Sample Submission Guidelines (pdf)
- For a look at all the services available to you (including oligo and gene synthesis services) download the Eurofins Detailed Pricing Guide for UCONN
- For a detailed explanation of Sanger Services, cost per sample and volume requirements download the Sanger Sequencing from Eurofins Genomics Guide
*** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ***
How do I submit samples?
Each lab or lab member must create an account for sample submission, data delivery and payment (see below). You will order and submit sequencing reactions (as well as other services) by completing the appropriate information for each sample/primer submitted, receive your data and organize billing through this portal. The CGI will no longer bill you for these services.
Samples must be prepared according to the sample submission guidelines attached. Please note that the volumes and concentrations requested by Eurofins are different from CGI guidelines:
Eurofins Requested Concentrations for templates and primers:
|Template Type||Template Size||Template [c] ng/uL||Primer [c] pmol/uL|
|Plasmid||< 20Kb||100 – 200||2 – 10|
|Purified PCR||100 – 300 bp||10 – 20||2 – 10|
|Purified PCR||301 – 1,000 bp||20 – 40||2 – 10|
|Purified PCR||> 1,000 bp||40 – 60||2 – 10|
|Large Constructs (BAC)||>20 Kb||250 – 500||10 – 15|
Eurofins Requested Volumes for templates and primers – Separate Tube Submissions:
NOTE: See Table above for relevant concentrations
|Single Aliquot||Volume (1st reaction)||Additional Volume (for each additional reaction)|
|Template DNA||10 uL||5 uL|
|Primer||10 uL||5 uL|
|Power Read DNA||10 uL||10 uL|
Eurofins Requested Volumes for Premix Submissions:
NOTE: See Table above for relevant concentrations
|Template Volume (uL)||Primer Volume (uL)||Total Volume (uL)|
All template and primer (separate tubes) and premix material being sent to Eurofins must be in 1.5mL or 2mL microcentrifuge tubes or 96-well full-skirted plates. Tubes or plates must be clearly marked by the customer or affixed with a barcode sticker. Barcode stickers and zip top sample submission bags are available now through the CGI (or can be ordered for free for your lab once you have an account).
Once your samples have been prepared according to the Eurofins submission protocol, simply drop them off in the CGI/Eurofins Dropbox (ESB, outside the 3rd floor elevators) for daily pickup.
What are the costs?
|Service||Cost per sample||Description|
|Separate Tube Sequencing||$4.00||Template and primer sent separately or as premixed samples. Customer supplies consumables. Use of Eurofins standard sequencing primers available.|
|SimpleSeq Tube Sequencing||$4.00||96 prepaid tube reactions to submit in batches as needed. Template and primer sent separately or as premixed samples. Barcode tubes provided by Eurofins. Must purchase 96 reactions. Use of Eurofins standard sequencing primers available.|
|SimpleSeq Premix (“Webless”)||$3.50||96 prepaid tube reactions to submit in batches as needed. Must be premixed samples. Barcode tubes provided by Eurofins. Must purchase 96 reactions|
|Plate Reaction Submission||$2.00||Template and primer sent separately or as premixed samples for 24 or more reactions. Customer supplies consumables (plate and caps). Use of Eurofins standard sequencing primers available.|
|PrePaid Plate Reaction||$2.25||96 prepaid plate reactions (template can be separate from primer or premixed). Barcode plate and caps provided by Eurofins. Intended for one-time use of all 96 reactions. Use of Eurofins standard sequencing primers available.|
|ShortSeq Plate||$1.96||Samples sent as premixed with primer for 24 or more reactions. Customer supplies consumables (plate and caps). Expected read lengths of 500 – 700bp.|
|Ready2Load Plate||$0.50||BigDye Terminated and precipitated samples only in plate format for 24 or more samples. Customer supplies consumables (plate and caps). Expected read lengths of 500 – 700bp.|
What is the turnaround time?
The CGI will pack and ship all submissions (Monday – Friday) at 12:00pm DAILY, with free shipping for all samples. With rare exceptions, all submissions can expect data delivery within 24 hours of sample receipt, even on Saturday.
How do I place an order for Sanger Sequencing?
- Visit the UCONN custom portal
- Create an account for your lab (you only need to do this once!)
- Before you drop off your samples, submit your order online. Be sure to use the barcode stickers available in the CGI to label your tubes.
- Barcode sticker numbers will be entered into the submission portal along with other information about your samples/primers. If you do not use barcode stickers, you must CLEARLY LABEL your tubes! Unclear markings will delay sample processing.
- Print out order confirmation and enclose with samples in ziptop bag or similar.
- Do not leave your samples in tube racks and be sure to check that all tubes are completely closed!
- Use the sample submission bags provided by Eurofins (available in the CGI).
- Drop off samples in the Eurofins Dropbox (Engineering and Science Building, outside of 3rd floor elevators) by 3:30pm.
- UPS daily pickups are scheduled for 4pm, Monday – Friday. NOTE: Pickup times can occur anytime between 3:45pm and 4:15pm.